Did you know that you should always clean and maintain your braces so they can continue to correct your teeth for as long as your treatment is necessary? If you fail your braces, they will, in turn, fail you. Listed below are some maintenance tips for keeping your braces clean:
– Always practice optimum oral hygiene habits such as brushing your teeth at least twice daily and flossing at least once daily.
– When playing contact sports or any activity that can put your braces and your teeth at risk, be sure to use the appropriate safety equipment.
– Clean your retainer at least once a week in an approved cleaning solution to ensure it is free of bacteria and contamination.
– Avoid sticky and chewy foods that will ruin your braces or get stuck in places that cannot be easily cleaned.
– Avoid overly chewy or tough foods that can bend or crack your braces.
– If you happen to break a wire or bracket on your braces, do not attempt to fix it. Instead, place a piece of wax on the end of the wire and seek out your orthodontist as soon as possible.
Always make time in your life to visit your orthodontist at Winning Orthodontic Smiles for a bi-annual professional cleaning, and if necessary, book an appointment with Dr. Travis Fiegle & Katie Solomon for a detailed exam of your oral health with regular checkups. You can reach our orthodontic office in Beaufort, South Carolina, by calling us at (843) 525-6228. Let us help you get the straighter smile you desire!